- 450g (1lb) whole wheat flour
- 65g (2 1/4 oz) wheat germ
- 65g (2 1/4 oz) wheat bran (oat bran)
- 225g (8oz) pin-head oatmeal (quaker oats or steel cut oats)
- 2 tsp soft brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 liter (1 3/4 pints) buttermilk
- Sesame seeds and wheat germ to sprinkle on top of loaf
Pour all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix together. Then stir in the buttermilk to make a moist dough.
Divide the dough between 2 greased (2lb) loaf tins which have been dusted with wheat germ. Smooth the top and make a spacious cross on each one with a floured knife. Sprinkle with wheat germ and sesame seeds.
Place in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 275 degrees and bake for 1 hour.
When the loaves are cooked, remove from the oven and partly cool in the tins, then turn out and leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.